Recent Posts

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

mish mash hish hash

Everybody's bored and buggered off to somewhere more exciting. So I thought this was rather appropriate.

"Today I discovered that if I hum at a specific frequency, my right index finger will spasm. MLIA"

"Tonight, my family and I watched Coraline. Since the movie finished, we have been watching the dvd logo bounce around the screen, waiting for it to hit a corner dead on, cheering when it comes close. It hasn't yet, and we've been watching it for over an hour now. MLIA"

"Today, my family told me I was adopted. My whole family is white. I'm black. I think I figured it out. MLIA"

Also want to give props to Louis Tiffon and her fantabulous blog http://akalalouie.tumblr.com/, a blog worthy of being followed religiously.

It was actually through Louis' blog that I found this little gem: http://www.caroline-marechal.fr/agent-illustrateurs/illustrateurs/gouyette (my favourite is Antoinette Fleur).

And of course where would we be without a jolly little song and dance?

Rebellion (Lies) - Arcade Fire (Funeral)

There's a lot of hype and interest around Arcade Fire now, especially amongst the Where The Wild Things Are fans, and rightly so. It's impossible to hate the raw anthemic guitars, sweet modulations into major keys at just the right moment and a sensitive husky Kings-Of-Leon-esque yowling over the top. Top stuff for those who hate too many lyrics but can't stand Sigur Ros.



Or some polarising stripped-back indie soul-searching? Try Aurora by Lapush. There's the safe monotonic guitar chords to make you feel like you're on a night train, a hearty dose of nice-guy mewling and the appropriate accompanying effects.

Give it a go.



Last and probably least, I'm going to chuck in this celebrity-fest released for Bandaid, just because we like Christmas with a feeble commerical sort of conscience.



[disco.read]

5 comments:

hurley said...

you should start your own variety column in the new york times or something, i'm sure you'll acquire a strong band of followers

d.read said...

Do I detect a strong and vibrant note of sarcasm?

hurley said...

NAWWW!!!

Anonymous said...

a proxy site is doing me great favours at the moment. how can anyone hate sigur ros?? and what is with the '(funeral)' after 'arcade fire'? Since youtube is so kindly blocked by the internet police, I cannot hear the music - a very sad day for me.

Does anyone even still visit this blog anymore?? I feel that more self-advertising is in need here..

cake.crusader said...

ah yes
archade fire kinda rocks