Recent Posts

Saturday, September 4, 2010

iPods, unfortunately

Has anyone seen the new iPod nano? Does anyone even care anymore? Well, you probably should, as these days, the height of ignorance is probably best epitomised by an inability to tell between the elusive shuffle and the latest nano:

(image courtesy of Apple)

Do you even remember when nanos used to look like this:

(image courtesy of Fanpop)

Yeah, neither do I. I do, however, understand that Apple offers a product going by the name of iPod shuffle:



(image courtesy of Apple)

Has anyone actually spotted one of these? Its dimensions dictate that it would serve best as a paperclip. I cannot comprehend why Apple/Steve Jobs would think that anyone would pay for that inevitable panic attack after you've been fumbling around your pocket, before coming to a gut-wrenching realisation that you've paid for your 50c cone with your shuffle.

Shuffle aside, they've also significantly revamped the touch. It is now equipped with two cameras (front and back), enabling 'FaceTime' (ie. video conversations, typical of Apple's aversion to the space bar) and HD video recording (although I imagine Apple has very generously given us five minutes battery life to do so, so that you'll actually have to purchase two of these revamped models to capture a video of decent length). Some day, we'll have a laugh about every electronics company's attempts to miniaturise and amalgamate all possible features into the one device.

At a RRP of $289 for the 8GB model, I may consider a purchase, had I not already mortgaged the majority of my worldly possessions for one single night of my entire life. Or perhaps a thirty minute trip to JB Hi-Fi will satiate my curiosity, doubling up as that obligatory comparison of the old vs. the new to ascertain an appropriate degree of that I-wish-I-had-stuck-out-just-that-bit-longer sentiment.





- no name -



[As a sidenote, I really must apologise for being an iPod owner. In my vigorous attempts to be anti-mainstream, it was only logical that I was anti-iPod. But it wasn't long before I realised that Australia was not about to import any of iPod's worthy competitors (eg. the Zune, iRiver Clix and any Cowon) any time soon in the next half-century, so I caved. My deepest regrets.]

6 comments:

hurley? said...

i love my 'old-school' ipod touch to death. but even these new models seem too contrived, like apple is desperado to be more innovative.... they're already the leaders of the pack aren't they?

plus the new nano is so friggin small... there has to be some sort of limit to how small a piece of technology that expensive can be, right?

disco said...

hay. i have that ipod, the one you don't remember people ever having. like hurley says, it's old school kool. having said that, i want an ipad. ps appreciating the geek post, sad dearth of those here.

pps i hate it when technology comes in thin biscuit wafer like shapes. i get paranoid whenever i put them in my pocket because i'm afraid i'll bend over and snap it, seeing as my butt is not perfectly cardboard flat. or worse, that it'll fall out of my pocket* when i go to the loo.

*clearly never happened to me before

c.l. said...

heh i read somewhere that iPod sales were on the decline
but those miniscule eyesight-destroying (for the nano anyways; it'd be pretty concerning if they had the video-watching function enabled on it!) models aren't going to give a shot of life to their sales, methinks. like everyone else has implied - too fiddly! its not like we've evolved with smaller fingers!

viva the old model - wonder how long it'll be before apple puts out a 'nostalgia edition'

HRH Monsieur Pizzazz said...

WANT!

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.lulz.ro/pics/1260572747721.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.lulz.ro/do_want&usg=__5bTuYLNPE2JIIdO-nOXaLvj430w=&h=400&w=359&sz=29&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=siWmTQlIg_af1M:&tbnh=138&tbnw=131&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbaby%2Bwant%2Bmilk%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1138%26bih%3D555%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=790&vpy=204&dur=348&hovh=192&hovw=172&tx=132&ty=114&ei=SNeMTM_cJsrJcZy31aME&oei=SNeMTM_cJsrJcZy31aME&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:0

cake.crusader said...

I actually have that shuffle! Oh I am so uncool haha! It's awesome! :)

It's like phones, they're going to get bigger again. Remember Hurley's old B&W one? No one has phones that small anymore!

One thing about touchscreens though, how annoying is it that you have to take it out and look at it to change the song? I like the scrolly thing. Bad idea making the nano a touchscreen.

Louis Tiffon said...

I had a first-gen shuffle and now I'm Apple-device-less, which is win.

disco I definitely agree - wafer-thin 10mm pieces of technology hardly feel like your money's worth, and sometimes a little bit of weight is nice to have and search for.

& Cake Crusader does serve an interesting point - are touch-screens all that great?