Recent Posts

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Dark Knight

Hello all,

I hope exams are going well and that we're all keeping a level-head. Perspective is the word. ("It's only preliminary... it's only preliminary...").

Just a few hours ago, I was informed by Count Lucifer that an unfinished blog I started about one month ago was saved onto EightStLaundry. To my delight, I logged on and found this blog I thought was lost due to my stupid computer freezing... again! So although this may be a little dated, here is my blog on The Dark Knight which Lucifer and I watched after a gruelling 3 hour exam as a little treat. Enjoy!!

~

As a pre-post for a friend who is yet to appear on this blog (as they currently do not have a cool blogging name like 'Hurley Who?'), I thought I'd write down some of my (and Count Lucifer's) thoughts on the new, very cool, very dark Batman movie, The Dark Knight.

Having heard all the hype about this movie, Count Lucifer and I went into the cinema with high hopes, and we were not disappointed. Crappy advertisements for the new Star Wars animated film and Hellboy II got us even more excited for a real movie. (talk about milking money out a sequel).

Although I must admit the beginning of the film did put out some false expectations (as un-named-yet-to-blog friend said, "I thought it would be a heist"), the movie slowly unfolded in pockets of action with the Batmobile, drooling at Christian Bale and the occasional (but very intense) "oh-my-god, it's the Joker" moments.


Heath Ledger ticked all the boxes. Un-named friend and I now start to get swoony when we see pictures of Christian Bale. Maggie Gyllenhaal was very good as Rachael Dawes. I haven't seen Batman Begins but I assume she made a better love interest than Katie Holmes. And Aaron Eckhart was a good foil for Batman as Harvey Dent/Two-Face. Although things got a little bit crazy with him towards the end of the movie.

The raw action of the film made it very worth it. (I now want a Batmobile with a setting 'intimidate') This is not a movie you watch the DVD of. It's worth the money. (I wonder if there's an IMAX version in Australia...)

Personally, the ending was my favourite part (I won't spoilt it), it was very post-modern - ambiguous, unsatisfying. And although the movie went for 2.5 hrs, I left somewhat disappointed - I wanted more!

Count Lucifer and I ended up giving this movie 9.5 out of 10. The 0.5 was taken off for unnatural post-production effects (cough, Harvey Dent).

This was the sort of movie that stays with you for days afterwards - emotionally compelling and impacting.

So I hope all those out there who have seen The Dark Knight agree with me in some form or another, and those who have not watched it, I have one message. WATCH IT!


- Hurley Who?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heath Ledger: Let me show you a magic trick
Me: Bluuurgh

Anonymous said...

omg heath ledger - almost as scary as extension maths
btw i sent mrs kerr my recipe for cupcakes & she's making some for maggie
i very mildly suggested that perhaps she should make a double batch and bring us some for after ext maths haha
she sed she'll try to remember... hmmm am waiting in anticipation

Anonymous said...

im not sure people understand this 'anonimity' thing.

ONCE AGAIN NO NAMES PLEASE.